Saturday, February 21, 2009

My life almost changed forever today...

I almost lost my baby, Saige.

It seems like an exaggeration but I honestly thought she was either dead or paralysed. And it was all my fault.

We were up at the pool area and Saige was in her pram, restrained. I was taking pics of Lemmie jumping in the pool..but was keeping an eye on Saige to make sure she was still restrained. After getting the shots I wanted I was putting my camera back in its bag..sitting right next to the pram. This was my momentary lapse.

As I looked up my heart stopped..I saw in slow motion how she toppled out of the pram..onto her head, body straight up and flopped onto her back. It was a tiled floor.

I can not even begin to describe what went through my mind! I picked her up and cradled her..she cried..and not even 2 mins later she went gray and appeared to have passed out. I screamed to J (who was playing tennis) that we needed to get to the hospital.

I ran all the way back to my house cradling Saige as still as possible..which was a feat on its own considering how I was shaking. She stayed "asleep" and the longer she did the more my heart raced. I grabbed my car keys and J sat in the back with her..this was the one and only time I haven't put her in her car seat..I didn't have the time.

On the way to the hospital she "woke up" and after 2-3 mins was her normal self again. I was however still beside myself!!
We got to the hospital and had her checked out at the ER...she was fine. Only when I heard that did I burst into tears. I think the adrenalin had stopped me from doing that earlier.

I swear to G*d in those 10-15 mins I thought I had lost my child. Its something I never, ever want to feel again!!

I held her the whole day and now that she is asleep I am checking her every so often to make sure she is still ok.

It was a big wake up call that accidents happen so quickly and your life can be changed forever!

9 comments:

Mommy2JL said...

Oh my gosh!
That's so terrible!!
I'm sorry you had to experience that, I hope your daughter is well!

*big hug*
-nic. @ singlemominthecity.ca

Laura said...

Oh gosh Tanya! How frightening!!!!

It is an aweful aweful feeling ;(

Unknown said...

OMW that's absolutely frightening! Glad she's ok

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I was sitting reading your post with my hand in front of my mouth, eyes wide - in disbelieve. I can't imagine what you went through. I'm just so very glad Saige is okay...you must've been a wreck!!! HUGS

Tanja said...

Oh no, what an awful feeling that must have been :(

So glad she is ok!

Natasha said...

Oh my babes!!!!
How flipping scary!!
she is such a wiggle worm tho, sjoe!
(HUGS)!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! So glad she is okay!!! Accidents to happen so quickly..just looked at what happened at our home last weekend

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my word....I felt your fear...your heartache....just reading this. I am so relieved that she is okay. I pray that I never know that feeling.
hugs!

Wenchy said...

I'm so sorry. That must have been horrific!!!

I hope you okay (and your girl)